Why do a code review?
Code reviews are an integral part of the teams that I work on, and recently I was asked what value they added versus the time they took. Here are a few thoughts about why they are absolutely vital to any software development project.
What do I mean by a code review?
To us, a code review is the final check by the team that the change being delivered has the following attributes, before being merged into the main branch:
- there are no obvious issues with logic
- follows agreed best practice, and coding standards
- code is understandable, maintainable and clean
- all automated tests are written, and have the necessary coverage
- the acceptance criteria on the ticket have been met
How do we do code reviews?
In order to gain the most from our code reviews, we try and stick the following…
- Two other people to review each pull request (PR)
- Picking reviewers that will have the most impact
Continue reading →